Thursday, 7 June 2012

Palaeochat: 2


Another brief post this week since, although I have managed to stay in touch with the palaeo-blogosphere throughout, I have been away from the office, as it were, and finding time for a blog post has been difficult. Hopefully I will get back to normal posting shortly.

At the back end of May this blog clocked up over 50,000 page views and I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled at reaching such a milestone and really am very grateful to all of you who have taken the time to peruse these pages. When I first started out, this was really something I wanted to do for me in as much that it was nice to be able to record some of my experiences that were swimming around in my head and it was an opportunity to share them.
I had been writing the originally named Saurian’s Field Journal for a few years which was a record of field trips, meetings and other palaeo-related paraphernalia that I had recorded and it was this that prompted me to start the blog. Since then things have moved on and this blog has evolved into something that is part of the bigger palaeoworld and I am delighted to be part of it and long may it continue.
One of the best things now is that there is a definite communal spirit amongst all of us that want the best for our science and the recent high profile episodes concerning the auction of the alleged illegally imported Tarbosaurus specimen in New York City and the on going struggle in support of open access have highlighted that a relatively small but highly motivated group of likeminded people can help to make a difference.
For now, I share an image of the skull of Liopleurodon – again from my time in Lisbon and what a magnificent beast it is. Normally we recognise rare isolated elements from this taxon on occasion so to come face to face with a skull such as this is was a rare treat. It is with a tinge of sadness that we recall that a specimen of this pliosaur was slowly coming to life in Quarry 4 before it was closed and that this part of the quarry now resides under hundreds of tons of spoil and will remain buried for all eternity.

2 comments:

Henrique Niza said...

Late congratulations but I have been doing some catching up read lately.

About that Liopleurodon skull where's it from? Lisbon's Natural History Museum?

Mark Wildman said...

That's right Henrique - right at the back of the original dinosaur hall tucked away in an alcove.

Post a Comment